Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Twisted Weimar Fairytales

"So kids, if you can keep your mouths shut for just 5 minutes, then I'll tell you the story of Little Red Cap, if I can still make sense out of it. Old Captain Muckelmann told it to me long ago when I was still little and dumb like you are now."
-From Joachim Ringelnatz's "Kuttel Daddeldu Tells His Children the Fairy Tale About Little Red Cap"

I'm about half-way through Jack Zipes' Fairy Tales and Fables from Weimar Days and everything about it is pretty much brilliant. This will prove to be essential source material for the development of this project, from the introduction which contextualizes why all of Germany's best writers were, in the Weimar period, writing fairy tales for children, all the way through the excellently translated crypto-Marxist/sexually liberated/deliciously macabre collection of fairy tales Zipes has assembled.

This will most certainly be in the reading packet!

(If anyone out there in blogland knows Zipes, please drop me a line and let me know how we can get in touch with him.)

No comments: